• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

"The Chosen" : A Slick Heretical TV Show About Jesus (Mormon Subversion)

Samseau

Archon
Orthodox
Heirloom
At first glance, you may watch the below and think, "Wow cool, a modern TV show that can teach the Gospel in our fallen age!" Watch the below, it's very well done:

But then you realize, wait a minute, is this actually what the scriptures say? "I am the Law of Moses" ?

The actual Bible passage the scene is taken from:

Luke 4

The Rejection of Jesus at Nazareth​

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went to the synagogue, as his custom was, on the sabbath day. And he stood up to read; 17 and there was given to him the book of the prophet Isaiah. He opened the book and found the place where it was written,

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”

20 And he closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21 And he began to say to them, “Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” 22 And all spoke well of him, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth; and they said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?” 23 And he said to them, “Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, ‘Physician, heal yourself; what we have heard you did at Caper′na-um, do here also in your own country.’” 24 And he said, “Truly, I say to you, no prophet is acceptable in his own country. 25 But in truth, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Eli′jah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when there came a great famine over all the land; 26 and Eli′jah was sent to none of them but only to Zar′ephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. 27 And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Eli′sha; and none of them was cleansed, but only Na′aman the Syrian.” 28 When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with wrath. 29 And they rose up and put him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw him down headlong. 30 But passing through the midst of them he went away.

---

The first discrepancy is that Jesus reads from a book. Yet in the show they have a scroll, with Jesus sitting in the middle. This is forgivable; artistic license and such. There are many such errors within this episode that are easily forgivable. But when it gets to the part when Jesus explains why no prophecy will be fulfilled in a hometown, the show incredibly interjects, "I am the Law of Moses," which is a dangerous heresy, perhaps even blasphemy.

Jesus came to fulfill the law, not supplant it. This he says right in the Sermon on the Mount. This is consistent with Christ's teaching that he is subordinate to God; Christ came do to the will of the Father, which Christ says dozens and dozens of times throughout scripture. Christ is not above God, but subordinate to Him, because he is one in Him. Therefore, if Christ can become the The Law, and rewrite the Law as he wishes, because he is The Law, it places Christ above God, which is an extreme heresy that will lead people to hell. It would also mean that God contradicts himself with instruction towards His people; He gives one Law to Moses, then comes down as His Son and gives another Law? Why would a perfect God do that?

The Law was given to Moses from God, therefore, how can Christ be above The Law? If people believe Christ is capable of rewriting The Law, then people can believe scripture can be twisted to fit whatever conception of Christ they have, and do away with The Law entirely, which is the same thing as doing away with God. Fundamentally, the Mormon idea of Christ is Anti-Christian and they worship a different God than we do, much like Muslims.

The Church of Latter Day Saints is nothing more than a scam, from its inception to the present day. Recently I've been hearing the women of Mormonism are having a full blown revolt within their Church, threatening to quit en masse unless they are allowed to become pastors and such. By the end of this Century there will be female lesbian Bishops inside of their Church having relationships with parishioners as their "church" implodes, much like the Anglican Church.

Just pray that more people do not watch this horrible show, and if you know anyone who watches, explain that it's a heretical show designed to subvert the faithful into Hell.

And it fails artistically. My initial thoughts watching The Chosen were that it's often sentimental and poorly written. A lot scenes made me cringe because they were examples of failures to "show don't tell". To me it feels like it was made to appeal to women. I do like the look of it, and some of the actors are good, but the guy who plays Jesus smiles and laughs too much.

Last edited:
The Law was given to Moses from God, therefore, how can Christ be above The Law? If people believe Christ is capable of rewriting The Law, then people can believe scripture can be twisted to fit whatever conception of Christ they have, and do away with The Law entirely, which is the same thing as doing away with God. Fundamentally, the Mormon idea of Christ is Anti-Christian and they worship a different God than we do, much like Muslims.

I didn't see this connection before but that analysis makes sense. I've seen the show's creator before trying to defend an accusation made against him about something he said regarding Mormonism. I've never seen the show but his updates were inserted into my youtube feed a while ago.

Here he is giving some comments on the LDS question:

He spends the first five minutes explaining what he meant about LDS worshipping the same Jesus as Christians. He settles on saying that what he meant is that there could be some LDS members that believe in the same Jesus, and that he knows some and they are his friends. After that he switches to talking about the show.

Around minute 6 he claims the show has no input from any faith tradition. He says he knows the authentic Jesus and is showing that.

But, he does go on from there and says not to replace scripture with the show and says he can get it wrong. I think it's at least good he can place himself in that way.

Next he states we get to know God through His Word. Interestingly, he mentions we need interpretation, says the Holy Spirit does that, but also the local church and pastor should do that. He says that he ranks below your pastor and his show should only be seen as a tool.

I don't know, I generally have come to dislike the movie/TV/theater format for much of anything.

Given his description of supposedly not pulling from any tradition and his kind of fuzzy view that maybe some LDS people know Christ, I could see how LDS-type ideas could seep in.

But, he does go on from there and says not to replace scripture with the show and says he can get it wrong. I think it's at least good he can place himself in that way.

What's the point to making a show about Jesus that doesn't quote Jesus accurately?

There should be a giant red disclaimer tag before every episode: WARNING: This show contains heresy!

Is that really the show a Christian wants to make?

I think this guy should come clean. He got a lot of money from Mormons to make the show, and was pressured to include some Mormon "revisions" to the NT. Let's be real here, there isn't any other reason to do it.

I think this guy should come clean. He got a lot of money from Mormons to make the show, and was pressured to include some Mormon "revisions" to the NT. Let's be real here, there isn't any other reason to do it.

I did not know this! wow.

Are these the show's creator's (Dallas Jenkins) friends?

Now I can't believe he could have given that previous statement I posted with a straight face.

Last edited:
The first discrepancy is that Jesus reads from a book. Yet in the show they have a scroll, with Jesus sitting in the middle.
Jesus would've been reading from a scroll. When they heard "the Book of Isaiah" they knew it was a scroll. When you hear of a book, you're thinking of a codex, which is something that the Christian Church invented as it copied the Bible.

Jesus would've been reading from a scroll. When they heard "the Book of Isaiah" they knew it was a scroll. When you hear of a book, you're thinking of a codex, which is something that the Christian Church invented as it copied the Bible.
It would’ve been scroll. Books as we know them came about when parchment became the way to do things and they started sewing skins together. Before parchment it was easier to make giant pieces of papyrus and just roll it. That was the number one writing surface in the classical world.

Fun factoid - when the Caliphate conquered Egypt from the Romans they stopped the export of Egyptian papyrus. The cost of writing materials skyrocketed and Europeans started writing with parchment which was way more expensive. A long book like the Bible would have an entire flock of sheep in its bindings. This is why documents became less common in the Middle Ages - expensive. Paper was a game changer:

Perfect? No. Even The Passion of the Christ took some artistic liberties.

From my understanding, the producer is Dallas Jenkins who is an evangelical. He's using VidAngel (same company that made Sound of Freedom) to stream the show; this company and show may have some Mormon ties/origins but it's mostly an Evangelical production.

I'm not going into this expecting perfect theology, and I assume many aren't, but compared to most of the garbage that's on Netflix this is a 10x better influence.

Honestly I think some of the takes in this thread are a bit over the top.

Without trying to be 'heretical', it is a nice tv show that may introduce people to Jesus who otherwise avoid and ignore him. It portrays him in a very positive light, and some of the scenes are quite raw and touching. I don't watch it for perfect theology, I watch it because it is rare to see a show about Jesus. It doesn't contain foul language, nudity, or any of the other degeneracy that is present in just about every other show on television.

To each their own, it's not perfect Catholic or Orthodox theology but it's an enjoyable show.

I have enjoyed The Chosen overall with a few reservations such as the OP. I really don't think anyone can make a film about Jesus that will make everyone happy.

I'm not going into this expecting perfect theology, and I assume many aren't, but compared to most of the garbage that's on Netflix this is a 10x better influence.

I don't watch it for perfect theology, I watch it because it is rare to see a show about Jesus. It doesn't contain foul language, nudity, or any of the other degeneracy that is present in just about every other show on television.

Yes, it is easy to justify a heretical show like this, but when we watch garbage we know it's garbage; here people will think it's good and actually be taken to hell.

I'd say this show is worse than the garbage everyone knows is garbage. Deception is 1000x more dangerous than overt evil, which is why Satan always appear as an angel telling lies.

---

2 Cornithians 11

And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is not strange if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

John 8

44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Last edited:
Yes, it is easy to justify a heretical show like this, but when we watch garbage we know it's garbage; here people will think it's good and actually be taken to hell.

I'd say this show is worse than the garbage everyone knows is garbage. Deception is 1000x more dangerous than overt evil, which is why Satan always appear as an angel telling lies.

---

2 Cornithians 11

And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is not strange if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

John 8

44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
I respectfully disagree. We don't get into heaven because we pass a theological purity test. It is through faith in Christ and his sacrifice on our behalf, as far as I can tell anyway.

Do we know Christ? That is what matters. I agree it's not a theological purity test. All that stuff usually ends up missing the point anyways. But do we know Christ?

I agree with @Samseau that trying to know Christ through a TV show produced by Mormons is a terrible way to go about it.

There is a woman I know who is a lapsed Catholic. Very liberal. I've been trying to minister to her as much as I can, even in my limited capacity. Last time I saw her, she was singing this show's praises and told me that she wants to become a Messianic Jew. As funny as that sounds, I told her she should go for it. Messianic Jews have much more faith in Scripture than she does as it stands.

I can't comment on any of the content in the show, I haven't watched any of it so it wouldn't be fair. But the Mormon connection doesn't sit right with me. If I'm not mistaken, is the show not an outright dramatization of the Gospels, and not a very strict one at that? That in itself makes it not appealing for me.

My parents like the show. My dad asked me if it was ok. I just told him to be careful and remember that it's not the Bible itself.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. We don't get into heaven because we pass a theological purity test. It is through faith in Christ and his sacrifice on our behalf, as far as I can tell anyway.

This isn't a "purity" test, you simply have no idea what's going on.

You've got a guy dressed up like Jesus saying Satanic things in a TV show designed to trick people into thinking it's actually Christian. This is a show that will lead people straight to hell, full stop. This has nothing to do with purity.

The fact that Jesus says "I am the Law of Moses" (an extreme, hell-worthy heresy) leads me to believe that at some point, the show will try to convince people that there is no trinity.

Back