• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Orthodox books you have read or currently reading, reviews.

GoodShepherd

Orthodox
Heritage
Please share the really good Orthodox books you have read and the Orthodox books you are currently reading now, a review of the books would be good too. Please share a photo of the book cover if possible.

Im currently reading the religion of the apostles Im 95% done, its about 1st century Christianity. I liked the chapter in the book about the Trinity and how its actually an old testament concept and how the old testament doesnt show or teach a monotheist uniterian God.
download (1).jpeg

Im currently reading the religion of the apostles Im 95% done, its about 1st century Christianity. I liked the chapter in the book about the Trinity and how its actually an old testament concept and how the old testament doesnt show or teach a monotheist uniterian God.
download (1).jpeg

Yes the OT evidence of the Trinity is compelling. Big fan of Fr. Stephen, he has some foibles but I love his in depth Bible study on The Whole Counsel of God.

Yes the OT evidence of the Trinity is compelling. Big fan of Fr. Stephen, he has some foibles but I love his in depth Bible study on The Whole Counsel of God.
Even in the very first chapter of Genesis when God is talking you can clearly see its not a monotheist uniterian God, "let US make man in OUR image" thats plural not singular, there was another good book of fr Stephen it was really good I must share it here too

34942356._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy is also a very good book by Fr. Stephan was also one of my first Orthodox books I read, its scratches the surface of many many religions and how they started and what they are about, it also shows all the Christian denominations how they started and where, when and why they started. Although the word prelest is not mentioned or discussed once in this book I couldnt help but notice how many religions and Christian denominations came about through prelest, for example, Islam and Mormonism had very similar beginnings, an "angel" appeared to their founders and gave them the revelation for the foundation of their religions.

This book I have to share here because its a book that Roosh himself suggested I read while I was still challenging him about the Virgin Mary so for someone like me who was a protestant this was an important book, an important topic to discuss, it talks about the 3rd ecumenical Church council in the 4th century where the church excommunicated Nestorius and his heresy in Ephesus and the mother of God is key to this church council.
51HRFr484oL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

This thread somewhat replicates https://christisking.cc/threads/reading-for-orthodox-catechumen-inquirers.143/

I'd recommend the following books which I've had for years but constantly come back to:

Precious Vessels of the Holy Spirit: The Lives and Counsels of the Contemporary Elders of Greece

This was mentioned in the thread above, its a short overview of the lives and sayings of 8 recent Greek Elders. It's a really inspiring one which is great to dip into before evening prayers.

1713903794428.png

St Silouan the Athonite

This is the spiritual biography of St Silouan, written by his spiritual son, St Sophrony. St Silouan was a Russian monk who laboured in obscurity in Mount Athos within the last century. You may have heard of the phrase "Keep your mind in hell and do not despair". This was the instruction given to him by Christ when he was under temptation from demons to the point they were physically manifesting infront of him.
1713903985804.png

We Shall See Him As He Is

This is the spiritual autobiography of St Sophrony, but written in such a way that he expounds on asceticism, prayer and theology. I found it very practical.

1713904340253.png

This thread somewhat replicates https://christisking.cc/threads/reading-for-orthodox-catechumen-inquirers.143/

I'd recommend the following books which I've had for years but constantly come back to:

Precious Vessels of the Holy Spirit: The Lives and Counsels of the Contemporary Elders of Greece

This was mentioned in the thread above, its a short overview of the lives and sayings of 8 recent Greek Elders. It's a really inspiring one which is great to dip into before evening prayers.

1713903794428.png

St Silouan the Athonite

This is the spiritual biography of St Silouan, written by his spiritual son, St Sophrony. St Silouan was a Russian monk who laboured in obscurity in Mount Athos within the last century. You may have heard of the phrase "Keep your mind in hell and do not despair". This was the instruction given to him by Christ when he was under temptation from demons to the point they were physically manifesting infront of him.
1713903985804.png

We Shall See Him As He Is

This is the spiritual autobiography of St Sophrony, but written in such a way that he expounds on asceticism, prayer and theology. I found it very practical.

1713904340253.png

Previous vessels of the Holy Spirit sounds really good, I will ask around if anyone has a copy for me to read. I have read saint Siloun, I like what he says "keep thy mind in hell and dispair not" the last book I havent read either, thanks for the share.

This book I have to share here because its a book that Roosh himself suggested I read while I was still challenging him about the Virgin Mary so for someone like me who was a protestant this was an important book, an important topic to discuss, it talks about the 3rd ecumenical Church council in the 4th century where the church excommunicated Nestorius and his heresy in Ephesus and the mother of God is key to this church council.
51HRFr484oL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

That’s a wonderful book. I love St John, he’s a great Saint and considering he lived during the 20th century, he’s worth developing a relationship with.

It seems hard to find his life in English, because frustratingly it’s out of print and accessible only via exorbitant prices on eBay, but hopefully St Herman’s will republish it soon.

I bought and read his life when I was in Russia (no big deal, don’t go on about it) and he really was an extraordinary wonder worker, like from the acts of the Apostles and he lived in San Francisco of all places! Hard to imagine that city having such a holy person dwelling there now.

As I am reading a chapter of the Gospels each day I am also reading the commentaries from Blessed Theophylact 'Explanation of the Holy Gospel According to [Evangelists name]'

It does a great job of explaining the historical context, as well as the spiritual interpretations of each passage. If you've read the notes in the OSB, and want to go deeper, I'd recommend these.

I know this is obvious but my gf and I are catechumens and all we talk about is Orthodoxy now. We've been reading the Gospels (from Septuagint) nightly and listening to them at the gym and the answers to our questions in conversation are so often answered from the readings.
Also, although the author is not Orthodox just read Ultimate Proof of Creation by Jason Lisle to get a solid grasp on the Transcendental Argument and fill in any blanks and it was very informative and convincing. Coming from a militant atheist background it just gave me the reasons I needed to finally dump my old false secular presuppositions. The relief is immense and my faith is so much more strengthened. Highly recommended.

I know this is obvious but my gf and I are catechumens and all we talk about is Orthodoxy now. We've been reading the Gospels (from Septuagint) nightly and listening to them at the gym and the answers to our questions in conversation are so often answered from the readings.
Also, although the author is not Orthodox just read Ultimate Proof of Creation by Jason Lisle to get a solid grasp on the Transcendental Argument and fill in any blanks and it was very informative and convincing. Coming from a militant atheist background it just gave me the reasons I needed to finally dump my old false secular presuppositions. The relief is immense and my faith is so much more strengthened. Highly recommended.

It is wonderful to have you on the forum, and thanks for the updates. However, until you are baptized I must list you as a catechumen.

When you say you read the gospels with your girlfriend nightly, are you living together?

When you say you read the gospels with your girlfriend nightly, are you living together?
Yeah unfortunately, we got in this living arrangement before we converted, we practice abstinence and go to liturgy weekly and do "our best", when we feel lustful I physically flee from the situation (Proverbs 4:23-27), and she prays to Theotokos. We plan on marrying soon.

Yeah unfortunately, we got in this living arrangement before we converted, we practice abstinence and go to liturgy weekly and do "our best", when we feel lustful I physically flee from the situation (Proverbs 4:23-27), and she prays to Theotokos. We plan on marrying soon.
Terrible situation you guys are in especially as Catechumans, Catechumans go through extreme demonic attacks, temptations and persecutions to try and prevent you from being baptised and joining the body of Christ. Best thing you guys can do is go to your priest and tell him you living together and see what advice he gives you and follow that advice, not an easy road you guys are on but it will be worth it, may God be with you🤝🏻

Terrible situation you guys are in especially as Catechumans, Catechumans go through extreme demonic attacks, temptations and persecutions to try and prevent you from being baptised and joining the body of Christ. Best thing you guys can do is go to your priest and tell him you living together and see what advice he gives you and follow that advice, not an easy road you guys are on but it will be worth it, may God be with you🤝🏻
Yeah for sure, we are greatly looking forward to marriage counseling with our priest in the future! Honestly, I'm surprised how well we are doing so far. She followed my lead into Orthodoxy and now I catch her always watching Orthodox videos and asking for extra prayers for purity, pretty amazing. Please pray for us to continue on this path.

This book was really good and can actually be read by Christians outside Orthodoxy as it doesnt really get into theology, its about a guy who went mount Athos and then went to India to stay at the Hindu monestaries there and the demonic things he experienced there, he also talks about Christian saint he met in the Christian world like uncle Elijah who was a homeless man on the streets, the hidden saints around us, this is an especially important book to read in our day and age with all the yoga and new age stuff and the deception of perannialism
download (3).jpeg

Back