• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Keto Diet Thread

Joost

Other Christian
Heirloom
I'm starting a thread so we can discuss about it. What interest me about it is:

- Burning fat to stay lean.
- Having a constant source of energy. No brain-fog sounds great.
- Possible decrease in chance of developing cancer.

The downside is not able to build muscle with this diet. I heard people say it's possible but It doesn't seem to be the case.

I found a recent study:

Nineteen volunteers (27.4 ± 10.5 years) were randomly assigned to ketogenic diet (KD) or to a western diet (WD). Body composition, muscle strength and basal metabolic rate were measured before and after two months of intervention. Standard blood biochemistry, testosterone, IGF-1, brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and inflammatory cytokines (IL6, IL1β, TNFα) were also measured.

Result:
Results: Body fat significantly decreased in KD (p = 0.030); whilst lean mass increased significantly only in WD (p < 0.001). Maximal strength increased similarly in both groups. KD showed a significant decrease of blood triglycerides (p < 0.001), glucose (p = 0.001), insulin (p < 0.001) and inflammatory cytokines compared to WD whilst BDNF increased in both groups with significant greater changes in KD (p < 0.001). Conclusions: KD may be used during body building preparation for health and leaning purposes but with the caution that hypertrophic muscle response could be blunted.

So according to this study, you can maintain muscle, lose fat and keep strength. You can't build muscle though. In the study, it decreased testosterone by 10%. Also IGF-1.

I tried keto before without success. I just lost a lot of weight. Friends made fun of me asking if I had AIDS. Nobody wants to look like an homosexual. Anyways...

I want to discuss sources of fat and protein. I try to get recommendations but most of them contain carbs. Sometimes not in small quantities.
My idea is to use Whey protein (natural, no flavor) as primary source of protein. I know regular food is better but not practical to reach my macros.

As for FAT, the ones I know are olive oil, mayo, coconut oil, animal fat, butter...

Any book recommendation? Any recommendation at all from somebody with knowledge and experience?

Another concern is hemorrhoids (hard to get enough fiber), salt intake (I heard 2g/day is recommended), possible kidney stones, possible long-term side effects?

I’m on day 4 of Carnivore diet (similar to Keto but no veggies, just meats and dairy. So far what I’ve noticed…
- a little more moody /short tempered
- My energy level is at a very good level and balanced throughout the day (a good thing), no hyper periods with crashes mid day like I’ve experienced for years.
- no issues with sleep (yet). Sample size still small…need at least 7-10 days to confirm
- I have IBS/ulcerative colitis, and since I’ve been on carnivore diet, I’ve had ZERO gas, no diarrhea/loose stool (actually a little constipated but still ok 1x per day bowel movement).
- I have osteo-arthritis and inflammation in a lot of my joints that ebb and flow every 3-5 days. Haven’t noticed any improvements with joint pain just yet but I could be in an “inflamed cycle”.
- Haven’t noticed any enhanced mental sharpness just yet.
- Haven’t noticed any “keto flu” symptoms yet.
- Not trying to lose much weight (already pretty lean…but belly pudge) but down about 2lbs in 4 days.

Trying this diet for 1 month. Hopefully that’s enough time for my body to adjust to have full results /analysis to review.

I think you guys might be able to answer this. What's the laziest way I can get lots of protein at least on non fast days. When single, eating is a chore since there's no culture to it, or other people to enjoy it with. Ground beef?

I commonly fast almost solely because all the food around me is crap and I think it's a rip off to boot. That makes me irritable as I still work out but don't have that many calories, which I can definitely perceive over a 2-3 day period as a buildup or caloric loss for the body.

I think you guys might be able to answer this. What's the laziest way I can get lots of protein at least on non fast days. When single, eating is a chore since there's no culture to it, or other people to enjoy it with. Ground beef?
Strongmen like Brian Shaw eat loads of ground meat since it's easier to chew than regular meat cuts. If you are doing keto I have personally found that I can eat less ground beef before becoming full compared to cuts with fat, if I'm not also eating carbs. Eating exclusively ground beef is actually the only time I've felt so full that I physically could not take another bite.

I drink raw milk to fill up my daily protein intake, and use loads of butter when cooking meat to up the calories.

This might not exist in the states but dried fish is a great protein snack. 84% protein.

This topic is also of interest to me. I have been trying to follow the ketogenic diet on and off for six months with little success. I bought a ketone blood meter (more reliable than urine strips) after trying to do the diet for 3 months and it turned out that most of the time I wasn't even in ketosis. I'm following the diet to address mental health issues, not to lose weight. I'm pretty lean, and this diet is rough on me. My heart beats irregularly, I cant complete my workouts unless I eat carbs. I'm a mess right now trying to follow this diet.

Found a best seller online with recipes. I think it helps maintaining the diet if you have more food options.

The Complete Keto Diet Cookbook for Beginners 2019 (Mandy Cook)

IMG-1332.jpg

Anybody know of any keto/carnivore diet coaches that can help a person figure this out?

Anybody know of any keto/carnivore diet coaches that can help a person figure this out?
Dr Chaffee or Dr Kiltz were my go to's.

It's quite simple though. Meat and water, eat until it stops tasting good. Add salt, add fat if your stool isn't loose or you feel tired.

There is an adjustment period of diarrhea (no burning or pain) as your body becomes fat adapted. No gas or bloating since I made the switch, its terrific.

It's a simple but effective life changer. I wish I knew this years ago.

Dr Chaffee or Dr Kiltz were my go to's.

It's quite simple though. Meat and water, eat until it stops tasting good. Add salt, add fat if your stool isn't loose or you feel tired.

There is an adjustment period of diarrhea (no burning or pain) as your body becomes fat adapted. No gas or bloating since I made the switch, its terrific.

It's a simple but effective life changer. I wish I knew this years ago.
This sounds more like carnivore than keto. I specifically am aiming for keto as a medical treatment for an illness.

This sounds more like carnivore than keto. I specifically am aiming for keto as a medical treatment for an illness.
Carnivore is keto but better. You avoid 100% of plant toxins like lecthins and oxalates.

But hey whatever works for you. God bless you and your health journey.

Back